Looking Back - Columbia Year 2 - Part 2

Friday, May 27, 2016

JANUARY 


Most of January consisted of me resting & recovering from my appendectomy, but I still managed to enjoy my break. Towards the end of the month, I traveled to Lansing for NYCDA & managed to make it through the weekend, barely. I also got the chance to work with NM's choir & choreograph for the 6th grade. I had a blast in the 2 weeks I worked with them. My parents brought me back to Chicago the weekend before the semester started to get me settled back in & ready for class. 

My friend Aaron, who I met at Columbia, but now lives in LA, was in town for a few days & we got a chance to catch up, do some damage while shopping on the Gold Coast, & get Yolk. 

FEBRURARY 

Within the 1st week back in class, I managed to sprain my ankle. I didn't let it stop me from dancing, but it did make me question if studying dance was what I should be doing. Thank god, NYCDA Chicago was coming up. I didn't know how much I need to be reminded that dancing is what I love most. Being able to go back to that environment where I grew up, after graduating & choosing to further my education in dance, is something I will be forever grateful for. All weekend I was surrounded by the people who have inspired me most. I got back to class on Monday with a new fire in me, one that I was totally unaware I lost. 

We celebrated Idalia's 20th birthday with friends & cake at our place.


I got Kiernan & I VIP tickets to see Troye Sivan again... & I managed to drag Kristen along with me to the second night too. Here's the post I did about both nights! 


Chicago treated us with a beautiful weekend at the end of February & in the time between the new semester starting & that weekend, Kristen & Idalia got a puppy, Bailey. We took Bailey out to the beach near our place & enjoyed the beautiful weather. 

MARCH 

March was a crazy month for me, in the best way possible. I started the interview process at lululemon at the very end of February. My best friend Caleb told me about the online application & immediately applied. The interview process was fun, honestly & it was a dream job. I was interviewing at 2 locations downtown & after about 2 weeks & 3 interviews, I was hired! I couldn't be more excited to be working for a company that I've stood behind for years. Getting this opportunity gave me more confidence in studying dance & fashion design. My dream of designing for lululemon really has a chance of coming true. 

Kristen, Umiko & I took Bailey downtown to join the entire city in the St. Patrick's Day Celebrations 


I went home for the 1st weekend of Spring Break to visit my parents & help them with Pops costumes. Kiernan & I took a hike on Lost Lake Trail & it reminded me how thankful I am that I got to grow up in such a beautiful place. (I have a ton of pictures from the hike & am working on a post to share them.) 

Caleb & I went to brunch at the Atwood to celebrate Easter & catch up before classes resumed after Spring Break. 


APRIL 

April means final shows. Most of April was spent at the Dance Center preparing for Open House & Student Performance Night. I got the chance to represent Columbia's dance department at Open House & perform at the Auditorium theater. For Student Performance Night (SPN) I performed in Umiko & Rebecca's pieces. I enjoyed dancing with my friends & working with 2 completely different choreographers throughout the semester. I am always thankful for the chance to perform. My mom & dad came to see the Friday night show of SPN & we went to Cheesecake Factory for dinner, of course! 



It snowed one day in April... it was awful. 

I went home for Pops weekend to support the choir, see all of the costumes & accessories my parents worked so hard on & see the final product of my first official choreography on stage. It was a wonderful weekend & I am so proud of how much the choir has grown & how amazing they looked on stage. 

MAY

May = end of the semester. I successfully completed the Spring semester without any trips to the emergency room & that's all that matters at this point. 
Now I am enjoying my summer by spending time with friends, enjoying the city & working, but I can't really call it work cause I love it so much. 

Here's to another wildly busy, fun & successful year at Columbia! 
Can't wait to see what my final 2 years have in store for me! 

Maria Natalia xx. 




You Might Also Like

0 comments