Troye Sivan - Blue Neighbourhood Tour

Wednesday, February 24, 2016


First off, if you don't know who Troye Sivan is, please check out his Youtube channelmusic videos, & debut album "Blue Neighbourhood".

Chicago Tribune Article Feature on Troye Sivan



Now that you're caught up on who this amazing, talented Australian boy is, you'll understand why he was on the cover of the Chicago "Red Eye" on Monday & what all the hype is about.

This week has been insane, including 2 nights of seeing Troye on his "Blue Neighbourhood" tour at the House of Blues Chicago. Seeing Troye both nights was not planned at all. Back in November, right before Thanksgiving, Troye released the dates to his worldwide debut album tour "Blue Neighbourhood." I saw Troye perform in October 2015 at the Lincoln hall as part of his "Wild" EP tour & it was an amazing show. I knew the second I saw that he was going to be in Chicago again, that I had to go & take my best friend, Kiernan along with me. 
Somehow, I managed to get my hands on 2 VIP tickets to the Monday night show regardless that both nights sold out quite fast. The time between buying the tickets & the actual show were torturous, but in the end, so worth the wait.

The VIP packages included early entry to the venue, giving us prime spots on the floor, a VIP lanyard, an exclusive "Blue Neighbourhood" beanie & a YOUTH signed poster.

The VIP passes were so worth it & a bonus that VIP got to wait inside instead of out in the cold Chicago air. 

One of my favourite bands LANY opened for Troye. They put on a great show & are amazing live. I hope they have their own headlining tour soon! I will definitely be buying tickets to it. 

Photo: KGP Photography
Around 8pm, Troye's set finally started. Kiernan & I were rather close to the stage, about 2 people in front of us & couldn't wait to see Troye live once again. Troye opened with his song BITE which starts with him singing a capella then the beat drops. I couldn't have thought of a better way to open the show. 
Photo: KGP Photography
The show continued with little downtime in between each song, only for Troye to get some water, chat with us about the next song or even asking a fan to tie his shoe for him, he actually sat on the edge of the stage & a girl in the front row tied his Platform Hightop Converse for him. He flat out told us that his hands were shaking because he was so nervous & but also so excited. I really appreciate how humble he is regardless of how popular & successful he is. 

On top of the amazing vocal performance by Troye & instrumental by his band, the lighting design was incredible. With the simple neighbourhood light outline in the back, the line of lights at the front of the stage & behind the neighbourhood, & the spotlights, the lights imitated the music & created an amazing atmosphere. 


I could try to list my favourite songs from "Blue Neighbourhood" but I would honestly just list the entire set. But, my favourite song to hear live is TALK ME DOWN. That song is so beautifully written & never fails to break me down when I hear it. 
The show closed with Troye's latest single YOUTH, which has an amazing chorus & hella break down. I remember hearing it for the first time at the "Wild" concert in October. It had not yet been released & he played it as a teaser. I fell in love with the song right away. YOUTH is honestly the best song to bop to & ended the night on a high. 

The second the show ended, Post-Concert Depression set in right away. A show as amazing as the one Troye put on will always leave you wanting more. 

The next morning, knowing that Troye has another night at the House Of Blues, I had to check to see if anyone was selling extra tickets. I had to go & experience the show again, both Troye & LANY we're worth it. I genuinely wasn't planning on going to the show again that night. Jokingly, I turned to my roommate Kristen & said "Give me a legit reason not to buy this ticket to see Troye again tonight!" After making up reasons for me not to go, she couldn't convince me not to & she eventually offered to go with me. That second she said she'd go, I bought tickets. Luckily, I found 2 tickets that were still the original price, from an outside seller, as both shows were technically sold out the day the tickets went on sale. 

That night, after both of us were done with class, we headed to the House of Blues just after the doors had opened. We were already planning to chill in the balcony & weren't very concerned with having a good view, we manly just wanted to have a good time, dance & sing along at the top of our lungs. We made our way up to the 1st balcony until LANY's set started & then we decided to head up to the 2nd balcony. Honestly, I think I might start watching from the highest balcony at every concert I go to from now on. There weren't many people up there, we actually had an amazing view & a ton of room to dance. 
Although we were way high up, the view was directly looking down at the stage & we could see everything happening down there, including the pit. It was so cool to watch those in the pit dance, hold up signs & just to see the pure amount of people there solely to support Troye. The lights again, really made the show & looked totally different from above but were still beyond amazing. 

Kristen & I danced the entire time & sang so loud that neither of us really had a voice afterwards. 

Troye's dad Shaun, who travels with him, was watching the show from a private balcony on the same level as us & was so entertaining to watch him watch his son perform on stage. He was singing along & taking lots of pictures & videos of Troye as well as the huge audience enjoying the show. After the show finished, I was lucky enough to meet Shaun & give him an inspire bracelet to give to Troye. He was so sweet & genuine & made up for the fact that I had no way to meet Troye that night. 

Troye Sivan put on an amazing show & I can't wait to get the chance to see him perform live again. I'm so happy that I came across Troye's youtube channel years ago & was able to follow him on his journey to the success of his debut album & first proper headlining tour. I can't wait to see what the future holds for him & how he can inspire me next. 

 Please check out his music & support this amazingly talented boy! 

xx. Maria Natalia


You Might Also Like

0 comments