Looking Back - Columbia Year 2 - Part 1

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

I just finished up my sophomore year at Columbia this month. Let me just say, my 2nd year a Columbia was a rollercoaster. From moving into my 1st non-student style apartment, to having appendicitis, to having that sophomore-year-life-crisis, to getting the best job I could ask for, & every little thing in between. 

end of AUGUST

I started out my 2nd year at Columbia by moving into my 1st official apartment with two amazing friends. Idalia & Kristen have gotten me through this school year & I can't wait to see what's in store for us this summer.

SEPTEMBER

I jumped into my 21 credit hour schedule the day after Labor Day. I missed Columbia & all of my artsy friends so much over the summer, I was so happy to be back doing what I love every day. Just as expected I loved every single one of my dance classes & fell in love with my fashion classes as well. (look out for a post about my projects from this year!) I also managed to enjoy some required academic courses, (hint: they're easier to enjoy when your science lab class is just fabric dyeing...). 
Kristen & I started a tradition, as both of us had Friday's off, we started "Date Days." We have a jingle that goes with it and everything. 
Date Day normally consist of getting our nails done, chipotle, &  enjoying the city.


My absolute favorite part of the Chicago is Navy Pier. I was so excited to get back to the city & spend some time reading on the pier. 


On September 27th, Navy Pier had free rides on the Ferris Wheel to say goodbye to the current wheel before taking it down & building in preparation of the Centennial Celebration. We waited in a line that wound itself all around Navy Pier for quite a few hours & finally got to ride the Ferris Wheel at 3am. It is honestly one of my favourite nights in Chicago. 

OCTOBER

As I got into the routine of everything, school proved to be stressful, as expected, so Kristen, Idalia & I would venture to animal shelters to distract us for a bit on the weekends. 



On October 19th, my oldest sister Angela gave birth to Luca, my 1st nephew. He's the absolute cutest. 

Halloween weekend, Kiernan, my best friend, came to visit from New York. We were lucky enough to see Troye Sivan on his 1st tour, that weekend.


For Halloween, we dressed up at Peter Pan & Tinker Bell & celebrated with friends. 

NOVEMBER

As November began, we all knew it was so close to the end of the semester. November & December are always a whirlwind & this year, they threw everything they could at me. 

One example of how November made me feel: I feel asleep before my 9am modern class, while trying to roll out my IT band... #dancemajorproblems

Although November was stressful, I had my birthday & Thanksgiving break to look forward to. For my birthday, my friends & I went out to dinner & then celebrated back at my place & just enjoyed each other's company. 
Check out this hilarious video Andrea, Umiko & Kristen made for me! "Maria Almighty"

After my last class before Thanksgiving I made my way home to spend time with family & meet my new baby nephew. This year for Thanksgiving we spent the holiday at Angela & Jim's new house! 

DECEMBER 

Getting back from Thanksgiving, knowing I only had 3 week left till the end of the semester excited me & stressed me out. There were so many projects & papers to finish & lots of praying that my body didn't give out before break. The weekend before finals, I was cursed with Appendicitis. It's a very long story, & if you want the details, feel free & ask me, but I won't bore you with them right now. It was a very stressful & unfortunate situation. After having my appendix removed that weekend, my parents brought me home, leaving the last week of the semester open ended. I finished my projects & papers throughout the 6 week break I had throughout the holiday. The only evidence of this event is 4 tiny 1 inch scars scattered across my stomach. Thankfully, since Columbia's holiday break is so long, I had plenty of time to recover, but not dancing for weeks straight almost killed me. 

Can't wait to share how the Spring semester treated me! Trust me, it ends a lot better than Fall did. 

Maria Natalia xx.



You Might Also Like

0 comments